Monday, May 19, 2014

Hog Insane

Interview with Carole Brown.
Tell us about your epiphany moment when you decided you were going to seriously pursue writing and eventually publication.
Re-entering college to learn about computers, after my sons were grown, was a wake-up call for me. I knew then, that if I was going to pursue publication seriously, I needed to buckle down and re-learn. I worked hard for several years: writing, gaining critique partners, an agent, learning all the new “rules”, attending conferences and workshops, re-writing, editing, and finally, signing a contract for my first book. Within a short time I had another book releasing, and I realized I’m a real author.
Which character in your new release most interested you while you wrote? Why?
Hog Insane: I would have to go with Denton Davies. He’s grouchy, opinionated, protective of his wife and adores her. Since this story deals with marital relations, and I love showing how much trouble people can land in, letting Denton learn that a wife’s love and respect is precious when not taken seriously, is a hard lesson to go through. Only when he thinks he may have lost it, does he wake up and determine to re-gain both. 
How do you choose the settings for your stories?I know my basic plots and go from there.
Ÿ  In The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, it was a little harder. I needed a place that could be secluded, mountainous, with streams, lots of woods, where a cult could thrive and perhaps go undetected for awhile. I thought about a couple different states/areas, but nothing seemed to “jell” until I went with West Virginia, and it clicked. Turned out, WV was the perfect state to set the story into.
Ÿ  With my upcoming release of the WWII spy series (With Music in Their Hearts), my plot includes a civilian spy. Since I spent some early years in Cincinnati, Ohio, I thought it would be interesting to bring a spy into that area. Plant a fictitious munitions plant across the river from the city, and it worked well.
Ÿ  With my “Insanity” series, it’s easy. I can place Denton and Alex anywhere to fit the plot. In the first book, Hog Insane, my family loves Tennessee, so using the Smoky Mountain area was perfect. In Bat Crazy, a fictitious cave will figure heavily into the scene, and there are a lot of states boasting of their own caves. J
What would a perfect day for you look like?
Ÿ  I’d start out with high 60s/low 70s, sunny weather. Balmy breezes would waft the flowers scents toward my window. Hummingbirds would flutter around the feeders. (setting)
Ÿ  Coffee, devotions, (later a smoothie or yogurt) toast.
Ÿ  Exercise
Ÿ  A two hour writing session with no blocks or interruptions.
Ÿ  Very light lunch
Ÿ  Another few hours with no blocks/interruptions. Progress!
Ÿ  Preparation for a special dinner out w/hubby (and/or family).
Ÿ  Home with an hour or so quiet time w/hubby
Ÿ  A huge thank you to God for such a marvelous day. Lol

Are there certain foods or snacks keeps the words flowing for you? Popcorn and ice cream are my favorites (failings!). I forego other snacks just so I can enjoy these two.
What do you most enjoy doing in your free time?Family time is super important to me. I love being with them and making memories with them. Whether traveling, boating, hiking, or family meals, I appreciate the opportunity to do it with family.
Are there spiritual themes you like to write about?I really enjoy bringing into my stories real life issues. In The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, abuse, revenge and redemption and forgiveness played a heavy part, but in Hog Insane, marital relations was a minor thread that wove its way throughout the book.
What lesson is the Lord teaching you right now or recently taught you?   To trust him. I’m a person who likes things done yesterday sometimes so learning to leave my writing life in his hands has been a big learning problem with me.
“Lord, you know I’d love to have a book published before I die.”
“Lord, now you know what this would mean for my book to . . .” (fill in the blank!)
“Lord, are you sure?”
Lol. Of course, he’s sure. I’m the one who needs to learn to trust, and I’m working on it.
Carole's Present Release:
A dead body, a missing motorcycle, a strange key, and dope are at the bottom of the trouble Denton and Alex Davies, and Taffy, their Jack Russell Terrier, run into when they head for their first stop in the Smoky Mountains immediately after early retirement.
Find this book at:
Amazon print:  http://bit.ly/1fd3cCQ
Amazon kindle:  http://amzn.to/1eDC39t
Barnes & Noble http://bit.ly/1dvNA6z 

When is your next book due out and can you tell us about it?I have two books due out later this year. One is the second book after Hog Insane, entitled: Bat Crazy. Vampire bats biting humans? What’s the secret in the cave worth killing for?
The other is the first book in a trilogy, a WWII romantic suspense spy book entitled: With Music in Their Hearts. This series deals with: Three spies and three sisters.  And their stories.

Where can we find you on the internet?
Barn Door Book Loft: http://www.barndoorbookloft.net/ 
What question would you like to ask readers of your books or Christian fiction in general?
Does it matter to you the age of the characters you read about in books? Do you enjoy a certain age group, like the ones in Hog Insane: early retirement-characters? I’d love to know!
Thanks for having me visit, Martha. Enjoyed answering your questions and getting a chance to connect with your readers.
Thank you, Carole, for sharing a bit of your life with us. To enter your name in a free drawing for this book, answer the question above and leave your comment. We'd love to hear from you.

 Annoying legal disclaimer: drawings void where prohibited by law; open only to U.S. residents; the odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. No purchase is necessary and one entry per post plus one extra for being a follower of the blog. Winner will be selected next week-end and posted here on Monday, May 26. You must be 18 or older to enter. Remember to leave your email address for contacting you in case of win.







4 comments:

Caroline said...

Thanks for allowing me to visit. Enjoyed the q's!

Melanie Backus said...

I have read many books with characters of many different ages. The ages of the characters don't really matter to me. When there is a good plot and the story flows smoothly, I get lost in the story regardless of age.

mauback55 at gmail dot com

karenk said...

Thanks for the opportunity to read Carole's latest novel.

Age doesn't matter to me...I enjoy the storyline.

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Caroline said...

That's exactly how I feel, Melanie. As long as the plot and story flow and catch my attention, I'm good to go!