Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cassie Haddon

Interview with Cassie Haddon
Cassie Haddon is the beautiful heroine of Love's Sweet Beginnings. Let's find out more about her and her story.

1.      How would you describe yourself to others?
Probably “dutiful daughter,” although I’m not sure what you mean by your question. Describe my appearance? Auburn hair, green eyes, not very tall. My background? Born into leisure in Mississippi, but all that changed because of the War and my beloved father’s death.

2.      How do you want others to see you?
I want to be seen as useful! There’s more to me than the useless Southern belle that everyone assumes I am.

3.      What is the most interesting thing about you?
 I’m smart, determined, and capable. I wish someone would give me a chance to prove it.

4.      What things are of most importance to you?
 Honoring my mother is most important, although Mother is not a “thing.” My friendship with Faith Saxon and Rosemary Stewart keeps me grounded. I don’t know how I’d survive without their caring and counsel.

5.      What type of man do you want to marry, or do you want to marry at all?
 After my fiancĂ© was killed, I stopped thinking about a man to marry. The War took so many young men that a girl my age is already an old maid. I would love to be married, of course, but my husband would have to be willing to care for my mother.

6.      How do face disappointments in your life?
 Honestly? I try to learn from them, but sometimes it takes me a while.

7.      What type of things do you like to do for fun or entertainment?
 I do love to read, and enjoy walks in the park or visits to Pioneer Lake. The most fun I have is spending time with Faith or Rosemary.

8.      Do you have any hobbies or special skills?
 I’m accomplished at the piano, I’ve learned to create beautiful patterns in lace, and have a good background in classic literature. Special skills? Not really. I wish I knew how to do something that would help me earn a living.

9.      What is your main goal in life?
What do you hope to accomplish? I so want to be seen as a useful person, one who honors God in all she does!

10.  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

 I wish I’d paid more attention to the management of my father’s estate before we lost everything. I just went along as though my life would never change, then “poof,” nothing was ever the same again.

Thank you, Cassie. It's been nice learning more about you, and you did very well for yourself with your pie baking.

ANN SHOREY has been a story collector for most of her life, and has been a full-time writer for over twenty years. Her writing has appeared in Chicken Soup for the Grandma’s Soul, and in the Adams Media Cup of Comfort series. She made her fiction debut with The Edge of Light, Book One in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, which released in January 2009. The final book in the series, The Dawn of a Dream, released in April, 2011. Her latest, the Sisters at Heart series, debuted in January, 2012, with Where Wildflowers Bloom. The third book in that series, Love’s Sweet Beginning, released in February of 2014. She’s tempted to thank Peet’s coffee and Dove chocolates when she writes the acknowledgments for her books.
            When she’s not writing, she teaches classes on historical research, story arc, and other fiction fundamentals at regional conferences. She lives with her husband in southern Oregon.
Ann loves to hear from her readers, and may be contacted through her website, www.annshorey.com, which also contains her blog, http://annshorey.blogspot.com/ or find her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AnnShorey.

Find out more about this lovely heroine in Ann Shorey's book. Answer the question below and your name will be entered for a free copy of Ann's book. Be sure to leave your contact information so we can inform you if you win. Subscribing to this blog or already being a follower will earn you one extra entry.

If your family lost everything, what skills would you use to get back on your feet?

Annoying legal disclaimer: drawings void where prohibited by law; open only to U.S. residents; the odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. No purchase is necessary and only one entry per post. Winner will be selected next week-end and posted here on Monday, March 31. You must be 18 or older to enter. Remember to leave your email address for contacting you in case of win.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this post.
I am at retirement age and since my husband passed I have actually started a home based laundry and cleaning service for gas and oil workers in our area to supplement social security. I live in small community so not many jobs here.
I was a homemaker for 46 years and had no jobs outside of home. But having raised 5 boys I had lots of cleaning and laundry experience.
After much prayer , I feel I have made the right decision.
Your book looks great I can' wait to read it.
Blessings
mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

Ann Shorey said...

Martha, Cassie thanks you for interviewing her on your blog. It's her hope that readers will take to heart the message that with the Lord's enabling, we can all succeed at something useful!

Melanie Backus said...

I hope and pray that we never lose everything but as long as God is with us, first and center in our lives and we have each other, then we have lost nothing. We are strong, we are resourceful, we would survive. I have a teaching degree so I could sub or go back to teaching full time. We have the knowledge to plant a garden, catch fish, so we would eat.

mauback55 at gmail dot com

Ann Shorey said...

Jackie, I'm impressed at how you've used your homemaking skills to start a business! Congratulations!

Ann Shorey said...

Melanie, How true that God will never forsake us! He has already gifted you with useful skills!

Martha W. Rogers said...

Oh, Jackie, I do admire your courage to start your own business. We had three sons and lots of laundry, but it's not something I'd want to do for anyone else! I'm impressed.

Melanie, you're so right. We never really lose everything because once, we belong to the Lord, we won't lose Him and He's the one to keep us going. You do have lots of ways to help your family.