Friday, November 05, 2010

Hatteras Girl Review

Hatteras Girl is a fun story of  friendship, love, and family. It’s a great book to take along when you know you’ll have time to read. It’s relaxing and as fun as a day on the beach. As Jackie Donavan approaches her thirtieth birthday, she has two dreams. One is to find a man to marry and second to own the Bailey House, a now closed bed and breakfast inn where she and her friend Minnie spent delightful afternoons as young girls. The book is full of fun, quirky characters you learn to love. Everyone from her Aunt Sheerly to Uncle Ropey and good friend Buck has Jackie’s best interests at heart, but their efforts don’t always go as planned. Then Davis enters the picture and Jackie sees him as Mr. Right and he holds the key to the Bailey House since he’s the grandson of the Baileys.  Just when she thinks her dreams are coming true, life gets a little weird. Davis offers to lease the inn to Jackie, but doesn’t tell her all the problems to be found in the old house.  The more she learns about Davis, the more she begins to mistrust him. When an old friend offers to help restore the inn, more bad news comes to light and Jackie has some decisions to make. Written from Jackie’s point of view, Alice Wisler gives us a most unusual love story with a few twists and turns that will keep you reading to find out how it all comes together. Read below about Alice Wisler and writing about the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She's a true "Hatteras Girl."
  
The setting for Hatteras Girl is the Outer Banks
because that's a charming place ---good for flying
kites, swimming, eating seafood, and letting the
wind blow your hair. While I enjoy many of
North Carolina's coasts, there is none
quite like the remote region of Hatteras. I
hold fond memories of the area. It's where I
learned to kayak (I let my characters kayak
on the Sound, too). There's talk of Blackbeard's
legend and treasure, fishing, and the most
beautiful lighthouse in the whole
world, Cape Hatteras. Kites fly best in Hatteras
(I flew one for hours one March) and you can't beat
 the dessert treats at the Orange Blossom Cafe and
Bakery in Buxton. The area is one of God's finest creations, but let
me be the first to bail out when a hurricane starts to come through!
I have always wanted to own a bed and breakfast,but am too lazy
to do so. I let my character Jackie be the one to take on the task in
Hatteras Girl, allowing the dream of ownership drive her to do the
hard work involved. I'll merely come and visit the famous Bailey
House and enjoy the lemon cookies (recipe in the back of the novel)
and breakfasts while I view the sandpipers on the Sound.

Thanks for including the recipe. I wanted some of those cookies several times during the book. Hope to make some soon.

Leave a comment and tell us your favorite place to relax for vacation and you might be the lucky winner of Alice's book. Drawing will be on Monday, November 8.

13 comments:

Alice. J. Wisler said...

Thank you, Martha! What a treat to be on your blog!

~ Alice J. Wisler

Wendy said...

My favorite place to relax on vacation is in the mountains curled up by a fireplace with a good book.
wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

misskallie2000 said...

Not entering as I have this book. I loved the story of wishes coming true. Was like a Cinderella story and I have loved Cinderella since I was six. Oh my but that was 61 yrs ago. lol Was a delight to read and had you guessing then saying no don't, wait.. But the ending was awesome. Hatteras Girl is a must read if you like romance without the the explicit sex.

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Alice. J. Wisler said...

Thanks, for this Miss Kallie! I appreciate your comments here. A Cinderella Story? I never thought of it like that. :-)

~ Alice J. Wisler

Jo said...

This sounds like such a good book and is on my list of books to be read. Please enter me in the giveaway.

Blessings,
Jo
ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

Sandee61 said...

Ooh...I'd love a chance at winning Alice's book, Hatteras Girl. I've been wanting this book ever since I saw it! I've read "Rain Song" and loved it...its one of my most "huggable" books. :-)

For my favorite vacation spot, it has to be Ocean Isles, NC. I had a delightful vacation there with my daughter and grandaughter this past August and will never forget how beautiful it was there. I hope to go back someday. It was my first time to the ocean too. The perfect spot to relax, and enjoy God's beautiful handiwork.

Thank you, and Blessings to all,
Sandee61

Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

Rose McCauley said...

Hi Martha and Alice, I already have Rain Song and would love to win Hatteras Girl! crmcc at setel dot com whose favorite place to vacation is anywhere there is a beach! I like Hawaii, Captiva, Kiawah, St. Simon's Island...

Edwina said...

My favorite place to relax is on my back porch in my rocking chair. We have a huge backyard with bird feeders that attract various types of birds. It is peaceful and relaxing and when weather permits, that is where you'll find me!

edwina(dot)cowgil(at)yahoo(dot)com

Kim said...

My favorite place to relax and read is in my own bathtub. But I also love to read on the beach (especially the beach in Hawaii). I have never been to Outer Banks but it is on my bucket list. I would love to win this book to get ready for my days there.

Blessings,
Kim Thorne
kim(dot)msjmom(at)gmail(dot)com

Pegg Thomas said...

I love the water too, but it's the Great Lakes for me. Lake Superior is my favorite. Along those unpopulated and unspoiled shores I can always lose myself.

Pegg
twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

Giveaway Lady said...

Please enter me. My favorite place is my bedroom. But a vacation spot would be Prince Edward Island. Love it! Thanks!!

esterried[at]yahoo[dot]com

Anonymous said...

I love the outer banks. I'm sure "Hatteras Girl" will take me there because Alice's books are like real life. If I win the book, I'll donate it to my church library after I read it.

Meredith McKeithan
mwmckeithan@aol.com

Martha W. Rogers said...

Thanks for dropping by everyone. The lucky winner of Hatteras Girl is Sandee Muzzley. I know you'll enjoy the story.